There was a forest by Kylee’s new house.
“Mom! I’m going to the forest!” Kylee said. As Kylee was walking, she came across an old shack. I wonder what’s inside Kylee thought. When she walked in she wasn’t in the shack any more. She wasn’t even in the forest! She was on a raft in a lake. She paddled to shore and looked at her reflection. She realized her long blond hair and bright blue eyes were gone. In their place was short black hair and dull grey eyes. She looked down she saw her favorite tee shirt and her old patched blue jeans were gone also. She now wore a grey dress. A couple days went by, and Kylee had seen NO humans, OR animals. She had caught fish from the lake and cooked them over a fire. She found shelter under a cliff near the lake.
“Kylee, I know why you’re here,” a voice behind her said one day. Kylee jumped in surprise and looked around. A tall, dark haired, grey-eyed boy looked at her.
“Who are you? How do you know my name? Where am I? Why exactly am I here?” Kylee shouted.
“I’m Ben,” he said. “I know you because your sister Rayna used to talk all about you when she first came to the world of Noriana. You are here to get her. Noriana is a queen, this land is named after her. ”
“Rayna....” Kylee thought about her red haired, brown-eyed older sister who disappeared when Kylee was three. “She’s alive?”
“Yes, she’s alive. She works for Queen Noriana. Like you, her hair and eye color have changed, so you probably won’t recognize her. Queen Noriana changes names to make people forget who they are and they can’t get back to their real home. You will have to remind Rayna who she really is so you can both go back home.”
After five minutes of walking, Kylee and Ben arrive at Queen Noriana’s castle.
“Follow me.” Ben says quietly as he leads Kylee through the thick hedges. “You will need to get a job with Bella.” Ben noticed the confused look on her face because he said, “Bella is the serving maid, Rayna works for her.”
“So, if Bella gives me a job, I would be able to talk to Rayna and convince her she is not...” She paused, wondering what Rayna’s name became in this world.
“Sara,” Ben said. “Her new name is Sara.”
“Ok, convince her she’s not Sara and take her back home.”
“Yes. Well, first we need to get you a job with Bella. We will change your name to Kim, that way the Queen won’t know your real name.”
“Okay.”
As they walked down the palace hall, Ben pointed out a girl with long black hair and black eyes. “That’s Rayna,” he said. It was all Kylee could do to keep from shouting her sister’s name. A few minutes later, they were in Queen Noriana’s room.
“This is Kim,” Ben said, “she is looking for a job as a serving maid.”
“Very well,” the queen said disapprovingly, “but you must sign these forms.”
After Kylee signed the paperwork, the queen said, “Now, your name belongs to me now. Your new name will be Anna. Ben, take her to Bella who will find Anna a mentor.”
“Yes, your highness,” he replied. “Follow me, Anna.” Kylee followed him out the door.
Bella’s room was just down the hall, so it was a short walk. When they arrived Ben introduced Kylee, as Anna, to Bella.
“Well, let’s see, who is already a mentor…” Bella said as she looked through her files. “Your mentor will be Sara.”
Kylee tried her best to not look too happy as Bella called for her sister.
“Well, new girl, I am Sara, your mentor.” Rayna said warily. “Come, we have work to do.”
Kylee followed Rayna to the wash house, where all the queen’s clothes are washed. When they got there, Kylee asked Rayna if she remembered her old home.
“I don’t. That was many years ago,” Rayna replied quietly
Kylee remembered that Rayna came to this world nine years ago.
“Did you have any sisters?” Kylee asked.
“I don’t remember.”
“I do, she has red hair and brown eyes.” said Kylee.
“People can’t have RED hair!”
“In our world we can.”
“What do you mean ‘OUR World’?”
“Well… You’re my sister!”
“No, I’m not”
“Yes you are! I’m Kylee, your little sister! You’re Rayna!”
“Kylee…” Rayna said slowly, “I’m Rayna; you’re Kylee, oh-my-gosh! Kylee, the last time I saw you, you were only three!”
“Yeah! You remember!” Kylee hugs her sister.
“Now, we need to get back home. The only problem is getting past the queen.”
“Right.”
“Let’s wait till tomorrow. We’ll see if Ben can help us.”
As Rayna and Kylee finished the Queen’s laundry and carried it back to the castle they formed a plan. They would wake up early in the morning to avoid the guards, then they would wake up Ben to help them get back home.
“I can’t wait to see our house again!”
“We moved a couple of weeks ago, Rayna.”
“Oh. That sounds awesome!”
The next morning, Rayna and Kylee got up early.
“Ben!” Rayna called loudly, but Ben just rolled over.
“Ben!” Kylee whispered. When he didn’t respond, Kylee clapped her hands loudly in Ben’s ear.
“Whydija do zat?” Ben moaned, his words slurred together.
“We need to get out of here!” Rayna said, “We need your help.”
“Ok,” he said, “Just let me wake up first.” Once he was fully awake he made a plan. “At about 7 o’clock, a portal opens. At that time people can go in and out of this world. You’ll escape then.”
At the lake where Kylee first arrived, Rayna and Kylee got on a raft and paddled to the middle. At that moment a hole opened and sucked the girls into it. They weren’t in the lake any more, they were in the forest.
When they walked home, Rayna spoke the words she knew her mom would want to hear.
“Mom, I’m home!”
No comments:
Post a Comment